Monday, December 9, 2013

Spicy and Sweet Fried Chicken Wings

An absolutely delicious display of modern Korean cooking. This recipe is, without going into too much detail (saving detail for the end), absolutely phenomenal. I picked this recipe because I didn't want something ancient or traditional. I set up this country all in one meal, an entree, a side, and a dessert.

Ingredients assembled 
Most of the ingredients were pretty basic other than the red pepper paste.  I couldn't find the correct red pepper paste, even though I made a special trip to Foods of all Nations, so I substituted chili with Garlic paste (similar ingredients with just a little more spice), which I found in the Asian aisle at Foods of All Nations.  It had the same ingredients as traditional Korean red pepper paste, so I must have been close.

Chicken in Marinade 
I placed the chicken wings in a marinade of sugar, fresh lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, red pepper paste, garlic cloves, and ginger.

sauce
The sauce had a very good consistency it was sticky, sweet, and spicy. The ingredients were red pepper paste, rice vinegar, honey, red pepper powder (substituted chili pepper), and sesame seeds.

prep.
Chicken dredged in flour before frying.

frying 
The chicken was fried in 1 inch of oil and cooked for about 10 minutes.

combined with sauce 
The sauce was a perfect amount for the quantity of chicken. It stuck instantly with no liquid runoff on the bottom. It was not soggy at all. I would describe it as everything that a sauce should be.

final product 
Well, let's start with the chicken.  It was perfectly moist and had a very satisfying overall taste. The sauce was both spicy and sweet it complemented the flavor of the marinade greatly. They both combined to form a delicious creation. It was imposable tell that the chicken was even fried in the first place. This has been my over all favorite meal so far in my international foods project.
                                                                                                                                                               



1 comment:

  1. Have you checked out some of the Asian markets around town? I am fascinated by the things you can find there. I can find most of what I need at the smaller one on Emmet across from Bodo's, but the one farther up 29 is worth checking out too.

    I have an Indonesian cookbook that features recipes from the islands of Java, Sumatra, Borneo & Bali if you'd like to borrow it sometime for your project.

    ReplyDelete

Take a bite.