Sunday, May 17, 2015

Kuchen

I wanted to make a German dessert that was authentic as possible. When it came down to it, I had difficulty deciding between black forrest cake and the one titled "German Cake". I had eaten plenty of black forrest cakes very happily, but the mystery that comes with a name as generic as Kuchen, it was hard to resist my own curiosity.

Ingredients
I was surprised by how few ingredients this recipe called for. However, the scarcity only added to the mystery of the final product.

Floured Tin
I used an 8-inch cake tin, buttered and floured.

Butter+Sugar 
As most desserts do, this one starts with creaming butter and sugar. 

Hazelnuts 
This recipe gives the option of choosing between almonds, pecans, and hazelnuts. Since I'm not a fan of almonds or pecans, I chose hazelnuts. 

Lemon 
This recipe calls for both the juice and zest from a lemon. 

I added the lemon, and the the eggs one at a time. Finally, I sifted in the flour. The batter was very simple and light, making me wonder more about how the final product would taste. 

Topping
The topping was also very simple, consisting of chopped hazelnuts, sugar, and cinnamon. 

Oven Ready 
I sprinkled the mixture onto the surface of the cake evenly. 

Finished Product 
The first thing I noticed about this cake was how light it was. When I took the first taste, I sensed a perfect ratio of tart and sweet. An equilibrium that resides in the middle ground of two extremes. This recipe, although simple, cuts right to the point of satisfaction. It does not try and impress the consumer with extravagant flavors, but instead chooses to be subtle. It is a light, perfectly structured cake, nothing more and nothing less. It is the tune sung by the birds that exhibits nothing but beauty. I would recommend this recipe to anyone who looks to impress, but at the same time not stress over the production.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Take a bite.