Friday, May 29, 2015

Beat and Baby Lettuce Salad with Jicama

This salad is one usually served during passover, or, in my case, my brother's birthday. He really likes beats, and so I thought this would be a perfect side dish. Also, I had never heard of jicama, and I like to try new things. Although this recipe calls for Baby lettuce, I used lettuce given to us by our neighbors instead (I'm not sure the kind, but it looked good). Unfortunately, I realized about half way through that I forgot to take a picture of the ingredients.

Beets 
I started by adding 2 large beats into a pot of water under heat until it boiled. After that, I turned down the heat, allowing the whole thing to simmer for about 40 minutes.

Jicama 
Meanwhile, I decided to prepare the jicama. The jicama was a bit difficult to peel, but after it was done, it cut like an apple (and kinda tasted like one). I chopped it into small sticks, and did the same with the other half.

Jicama and Lettuce 
After the Jicama was cut, I added it to the bowl of lettuce.

Chopped Beet
Once the beets were done, I chopped them into wedges.

The Dressing 
The dressing consisted of lime juice, vegetable oil, salt, and pepper. Although it was simple, it was very tangy and delicious.

Finished Product
The salad was very simple yet good. The dressing added a nice flavor to the beets and lettuce. However, I felt that the jicama had a strange texture, and didn't add much to the dish. I feel as though something else could have taken its place, such as feta cheese. I would recommend this dish to anyone who is looking for a side that does not require much physical labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Take a bite.