Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Bavarian Cheese Toast

When I first read the title "Bavarian Cheese Toast" I was thinking that it would be something like a glorified grilled cheese. I was curious to see just how similar the two dishes were, so I chose it to make as a German dinner for my family.

Ingredients 
The title suggests that this recipe would consist of two elements: cheese and toast. However, I was suprised at the number of ingredients that it required. The cheeses that I'm using are emmentaler and swiss, and the bread is a vermont whole wheat which I lightly toasted ahead of time.

Egg-Milk Mixture
This mixture consists of eggs, milk, brown mustard, salt, pepper, and nutmeg all whisked together until frothy.

Toppings 
I used a boneless ham steak from Whole Foods, and then diced it into small cubes. The cheese was shredded, which made it easy to add it as a topping for the toasts.

Toppings on Toast 
I tried to distribute the ham as evenly as I could to ensure that every bite was accompanied with a piece of ham. I also aimed for the cheese to cover both the surface of the bread and the ham, as to ensure that it becomes embeded in the overall flavor.

The Egg-Milk Mixture
This is where that mysterious egg-milk mixture comes into play. I drizzled it over the top until every piece was covered, and then I put the whole thing in the oven at 350 F for 20 minutes.

Finished Product 
Although simple, this recipe proved to be delicious. The smoky flavor of the emmentaler complements the flavor of the ham and the egg mixture very well. I have never really been a huge fan if grilled cheese, but this does not fit into that catagory of displeasure. With every bite the flavors evolve into a flavorful unity that I have grown to love in German cooking. I would definitely recommend this recipe to anyone who wants a delicious meal but doesn't have the time to take on a huge project.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Take a bite.