Friday, October 11, 2013

Shredded Pork and Mustard Green Soup

For my second recipe I decided to go with an authentic chinese soup. The shredded pork and mustard green soup caught my eye (page 300 of Nina Simmond's Classic Chinese Cooking). The recipe had some ingredients that I had never worked with before such as bean threads and Sichuan preserved mustard greens. Some of the ingredients had to be found in an Asian market but that story deserves an entire post.
The Ingredients Asssembled 
I started out by assembling ass of my ingredients on the counter. In the front right are the what we think are Sichuan preserved mustard greens and bean threads.

Chopped Pork in Marinade 
I chopped the pork into moderately thin slices I let it marinate. The ingredients in the marinade are: soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, and corn starch.

Assembled Vegetables 
While the meat was marinating I assembled my vegetables to later be mixed with chicken broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, mustard greens, and scallions.

Final stages
I assembled all of the ingredients ( including the pork) into a soup pot to finish cooking the pork and to soften the vegetables.

Final product 
After the soup was done I served It with some simple refried rice. The soup had an unusual taste, it wasn't bad but the canned mustard greens added a very sharp and peppery flavor. I thought that it had a very winter feel to it witch is always nice when approaching the colder seasons. I would give this a rating of 3 1/2 stars compared to the wontons.
  

1 comment:

  1. I seem to recall following a recipe for Hot & Sour soup that called for pickled vegetables - it was different and not entirely to my liking. Next time I made it, I skipped that part and was very happy with my results.

    ReplyDelete

Take a bite.