Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Introduction to Cooking

When I was ten years old I was always hungry for sweets.  My mom rarely bought them because she had this crazy notion that they were bad for me. One day while getting turned down yet again for a request to go to Spud-nuts (the local donut shop) I decided to take matters into my own hands. I looked up a recipe for home made doughnuts.  My mom told me that hot oil was dangerous, especially when a ten year old handles it. So she said that she was going to help me with the frying. Soon after we got the ingredients I started to work on the batter. I found it strange to add things that didn't look, taste, or smell anything like a donut.

After the batter was complete I started to form my donuts into what I thought that they should look like. By this time I was exhausted, I was ready to give up and just forget about cooking in general but my love for donuts was too great. The oil was ready and hot and so with my slotted spoon I gently placed the donuts in. When they were brown and looked done, I put them in a cooling rack lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. 

When they were cooled I dipped the top of each doughnut in a home made chocolate ganache. I took my first bite of the new creation and a sense of accomplishment came over me. I knew that what I was eating would not be possible without my own hands. I didn't want to consume them all at once and waste them because I thought that the work that was put in deserved to be appreciated by preserving the proof of the work.  From that day on I always appreciated what I was consuming and not just blindly stuffing my face. Cooking has got me through many tough times and when many things seem out of control I will always have control over how my food tastes. 

Today I am fourteen years old.  I have met and worked with chefs and explored new recipes and techniques.  The reason for this blog is because in order to be a great chef I have to taste different food and develop my own style. I intend this blog to be a record of my food explorations and maybe I can even show it to the colleges I apply to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Take a bite.