Sunday, October 6, 2013

Fried Wontons

While skimming through Nina Simonds' Classic Chinese Cuisine I stumbled upon a recipe for Fried wontons. I have always loved fresh dumplings and I had some experience with making steamed dumplings before. I Had never made fried dumplings before so I was excited to begin working.

The ingredients
I started by shelling and deveining the shrimp, which was then minced and mixed with minced water chestnuts, ground pork, and wonton seasonings: soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil, ginger and scallions. 

Wonton mixture
I put about a teaspoon in each wonton wrapper and twisted them into dumpling shape. 







While forming the wontons, I was heating about six cups of oil in a Dutch oven. (The recipe says to use a wok, but we don't have one.)  The cookbook says to heat the oil to 350, but we don't have a thermometer, so I waited until the oil started to wink at me, and then tested with a scrap wonton wrapper.


Once they looked brown and crispy, I drained them on paper towels.

Then I made a dipping sauce of ketchup, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil, thickened with corn starch.


The finished wontons were delicious!


3 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I'll swap you a jar of my homemade duck sauce for some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha they were gone in about a minute. Thank you for writing the first comment on my blog. Next time i make some I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look super delish, Seamus! Would love to try a veggie version. Nice blog, by the way. Looking forward to more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete

Take a bite.