Friday, January 24, 2014

Panch Phodoner Kaddu (squash with five spices)

This recipe seemed appealing when I first saw it in the cook book. I have always associated India with exotic spices and curry, so I thought that this recipe would give me a chance to explore some new spices. This recipe looked easy and affordable, it was just what I was looking for as a side to the simple egg curry.

Ingredients 
Most of  the ingredients were basic except for the spices. I had to go to Foods of All Nations (on Ivy road) for most of them. 

I lost the picture of the squash cooking with the spices, but I will give a detailed description of what I did. I added 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan, next I added cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, black mustard seeds, and black onion seeds. After they popped and darkened I added the diced squash (with the skin on). I then allowed it to cook until softened.

final product
The squash was very delicious, it had many new flavors to it that I had never tasted. It was very different to what I am used to but I did enjoy experimenting with the new spices. 

Dinner is Served 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Take a bite.